Friday, 24 April 2009

Why I read the Lisbon Treaty on St George's Day.

Yesterday was St Georges Day and I spent part of it reminding myself exactly how proud I am to be British - and, in preparation for the upcoming elections, in reminding myself just how much I dislike parts of the Lisbon Treaty and why I have campaigned for a referendum.

I'm not a lawyer - but unlike the Labour minister for Europe at least I have spent time reading the treaty.

My own copy kept my printer busy for ages - why should residents have to pay E40 if they want to order a copy of the treaty that could have such an huge impact on their lives. As I read I found myself scribbling huge "NO"s beside certain sections.

Clause 27 - on a common Foreign Policy "the Union shall conduct, define and implement a common foreign and security policy" NO - Why should the UK become subserviant to a common foreign policy - we have the UN (ok its often not perfect) but this also seems huge extra bureaucracy to me.

Clause 49 - On an EU Army - "Member states shall make civilian and military capabilities available to the Union for the implementation of the common security and defense policy" NO - we already have NATO, our British Troops are already hugely overstretched and other EU countries haven't exactly rushed in to help them in Afghanistan. Again this seems completely unnecessary.

Clause 4 - "The Union shall establish and economic and monetary union whose currency is the euro"..... That got a big NO from me too.

I could go on....

We were promised a referendum. The Conservative Party does not want these new rules and is committed to rejecting them either by offering the British People referendum (if that is still legally possibly by the time a general election occurs)... or if it has already been turned into law by re-opening negotiations. We can not let this rest here.

11 comments:

alex said...

I'm glad that you have read the treaty, but I must admit to being rather surprised (Or maybe disappointed) that the minister hasn't-whqat on ewarth does she think her job is actually about?

alex said...

sorry that should say "what on earth"!

Anonymous said...

If you really want to vote against Europe vote for the only party which wants to get us out of the whloe damn mess-UKIP

Rayatcov said...

The only way you would get my vote is if you would say you would leave the EU as soon as possible, or sooner.
Otherwise I will vote for the only party that will and that's not the UKIP, they've had ten years or so to do it and failed.
Depending on which poll you look at, the British people and the English in particular, have voted around 70/80 per cent to leave.

As an after thought I shouldn't say English, because if you go to the Encyclopedia Britannica site and type in England, you'll find these words:-
"Despite the political, economic and cultural legacy that has perpetuated its name... England no longer officially exists as a country".The English are almost the only ethnic group in the world to have been deprived of their identity without a shot being fired.

Anonymous said...

@ Rayatcov 16.26

If by that you mean the BNP I sincerely hope no-one with a brain in their head would vote for you.

Vicky Ford said...

The shame is that 5 years ago UKIP were lent the votes of very many trusting people - but have let them down.... Why for example have they failed to stand up for the people of the East of England when it comes to huge waste from Europe. For 5 years no UKIP MEP has bothered to turn up at the public meetings to question the British Taxpayers money being spent here in East Anglia under the EU banner. OK, I don't agree with regional government either and these meetings make me mad too... but I do think that having been elected on a platform that they would fight against Waste and fraud they should have tried. We need Change but only the Conservatives are prepared to roll up their sleeves to deliver it.

Vicky Ford said...

The shame is that 5 years ago UKIP were lent the votes of very many trusting people - but have let them down.... Why for example have they failed to stand up for the people of the East of England when it comes to huge waste from Europe. For 5 years no UKIP MEP has bothered to turn up at the public meetings to question the British Taxpayers money being spent here in East Anglia under the EU banner. OK, I don't agree with regional government either and these meetings make me mad too... but I do think that having been elected on a platform that they would fight against Waste and fraud they should have tried. We need Change but only the Conservatives are prepared to roll up their sleeves to deliver it.

Anonymous said...

[quote]
Despite the political, economic and cultural legacy that has perpetuated its name... England no longer officially exists as a country.
[/quote]

Thats really hilarous, diversity monitoring forms nowadays include English as an option in nationality/origins. If England doesnt officially exist, then there would be no need for this information.

I always tick English but I would never vote UKIP or BNP.

What I find funny is that UKIP hate the idea of the gravy train but still have their snouts in the trough see here eg. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8020577.stm

Anonymous said...

Eugh, how do you make links works on this...?????? Looks like a cut and paste jobbie if you want to read the article

Anonymous said...

So, you object to the EU having a currency (the Euro) even though the UK has an opt-out from it?

This is exactly why no one who stops to think about what you're saying can take your position on the treaty seriously.

I'm sure all of our European partners would love to drop the Euro just because Vicky Ford wants them too, even though they have not forced her (or anyone else in the UK) to adopt the currency.

Just how self centred can Brits be?

resistenciesta said...

Where did you read the treaty then?