Friday, 24 April 2009

Being a councillor


Yesterday I stood down as a district councillor. I have really enjoyed representing my community for the past 3 years and there have been many successes. It is a huge honour and I have learnt masses, not only about my local community but also about local government.

All too often we find that decisions that we know are right for our local area are impossible because of heavy handed legislation from Westminster or Brussels. On June 4th I will stand as a candidate in the European Elections - I see this as an opportunity to help roll back the bureaucracy, unnecessary legislation and financial waste that is so often imposed by Europe.

I am not complacent about this election - I have already visited nearly all of the 58 Constituencies of the East of England over the coming days our candidate team will be helping campaign in all of them - but I do know that if I am elected I will have far less time to represent my area on council issues. My area deserves strong and continuous local representation. A mid-year by-election would be expensive. I know how totally frustrating mid year by-elections can be for voters and I don't want to put my community through that.

By stepping down as a councillor yesterday a by-election will be called on the same day as the County Council and European elections. My neighbours will have the opportunity to chose who represents them at every level of government - bar Westminster.... How I wish that they had the opportunity to make that Westminster choice too!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to get your chance to pass judgement on the government, simply agitate to change the law so that elections are every four years on a fixed timetable instead of being left to the whims of the party in power hiding under royal prerogative which is an out of date anachronism in a meritocratic society.

Pete C said...

I'd rather retain the ability to get rid of them with a vote of no confidence,even though that's more of a theoretical power in these days of large majorities and MPs who put their party before their country or constituents.I sincerely hope that if you are ever an MP Vicky you would get your priorities in the right order

Though I thought I would never say it I must admit I a more drawn to the idea of a US style separation of legislature and executive,which would allow parliament to really hold the government to account

Anonymous said...

Well done Vicky-you've done a great job for the Council, and good luck for the future

Vicky Ford said...

Thanks for the comments.. Pete C, I believe that by standing down as a councillor at this moment I have firmly demonstrated that I put my constituents first....

Anonymous said...

FAO Pete C, but that facility already exists, thats how Callaghan was forced to call an election. Certainly there is NO chance of a Vote of No Confidence with the current majority that Labour holds.

Anyway, Vicky, I read in the paper that you wrote a letter to residents of your ward. I never got one... is it because I is a Lib Dem?