Thursday, 3 January 2008

Why I support local A&E departments... A Christmas Story

When I was growing up there was a standing family joke that someone always ended up in the casualty department over the Christmas holidays. We were quite active out-door kids but sod's law always seemed to load the injury odds into the holidays.

I thought those days were long behind me but this year I was back in the A&E.

The Risk Assesment experts could write case studies on my accident. The scene was a Boxing day game of Kick-the-Can in the dark with loads of children. On the sensible side I was wearing trainers and the wine was still in the fridge. But in a race to free the homeside from opression, I tripped and landed thumb first.

The trip to the local casualty department was a good 20 minutes even in the rural solitude of Boxing day eve. I wasn't critically ill, I was not a major trauma case, indeed it turned out that I hadn't even broken my hand - but IT HURT and all I wanted to be at the casualty department NOW. . When we got there the staff were fantastic. x-ray, examination, strapping, home. This is the NHS at its best.

All across the country I have heard about rural A&E services under threat. Patients are told that their "local" A&E department has not got the modern equipment to cope with major trauma cases and everyone will be better off if casualty departments are centralised. My own experiences, over many years is that these are valuable services and should not be undermined.

Vicky's rule of (still very sore but unbroken) Thumb - Be really nice to Doctors, Nurses, Policemen etc etc --- you never know when you might need them.

1 comment:

Ellee Seymour said...

We are lucky in Ely that we can pop into the local hospital for similar swift treatment, though I would have anticipated lengthy queues at Addenbrooke's. I guess Boxing Day was a good day to be injured. Glad no serious damage was done.

Happy New Year Vicky, and good luck!