Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Saving Milton Country Park


I’ve learnt that politicians whether local or national are rarely given thanks in public. I can’t tell you how much this letter in the local paper lifted my spirits.

Milton Country Park is a much loved open space and nature reserve just outside Cambridge. Over 90,000 visitors use the park each year – but the park had become
increasingly expensive for the cash strapped council to run and was threatened with closure. Within weeks 10,000 people signed a petition demanding that the park remains open, hundreds wrote to me, my email box went black.

As the councillor responsible for the park I am determined that the park should not close but find a long term future. Working with the save the park campaign, voluntary sector organisations, council officers and other councillors I’ve spent a year trying to find a new owner for the park. I’ve been interviewed by BBC TV news (twice), the paper and radio stations regularly. I am delighted that the Cambridge Sports Lake trust are planning to take it over. Their plan is to combine the Country park with an International rowing lake and triathlon training area on adjoining land. This was never meant to be easy but work is on track for a final agreement to be signed early in the new year.

No comments: