Thursday, 19 April 2007

What is a local council all about?

Local election time again and Ive now been a local councillor and cabinet member for nearly a year. What is it all about?

We had a long meeting this morning discussing our "community development strategy".

Community development is a knotty issue... it covers sports, arts, museums (the fun bit) and then crime, anti-social behaviour, and travellers. When you get it right nobody really notices but when there is a complaint boy do you hear it hard.

My experience is Councillors fit into four sects

The Smilers sit at meetings and never give a view. The Whingers sit at the meetings and don't give a view and then bitch about it afterwards. The Hacks - sit there and just object to anything someone on the other side says. The Doers - they give views, they often put peoples backs up by asking questions but they do make a difference and get projects going that help their local community.

So really being a local councillor is all about what you put into it. Please promise me that if you are elected this May you will try to be a Doer... from whatever political party you represent.

p.s. Oh sorry - there is also the Uninformed .... they didn't read the brief but turned up and asked questions wasting time... there are one or too other groups I could mention but I could get in trouble.

p.p.s I admit that whilst I've been learning perhaps I have shown examples of all types myself it does take time to find ones feet.

1 comment:

QUASAR9 said...

p.p.s I admit that whilst I've been learning perhaps I have shown examples of all types myself it does take time to find ones feet.

Well honest & sincere!
I like that in a Man or Woman!