Monday, 23 April 2007

What does a candidate do?

One of my friends suggested this weekend that I should post my diary on the web so that you can read what a candidate/councillor does in a week. This is the busy season for local elections so here goes ....

Monday
am - canvassing for local elections in my own ward
pm - meeting with Council cabinet on various issues including planning policy
evening - Milton Parish council meeting re saving the park
Tuesday

am going to join the doctors in Westminster for the mass lobby of parliament.
pm chance to catch up with some former work colleagues to keep eye on what is happening in business world
evening - will appear on 18 Doughty Street TV

Wednesday
am canvassing in target ward for local elections
pm meeting with council leader and deputy re future of the park
evening - canvassing for local elections

Thursday
Full council meeting ... must make sure Ive read all the papers!
evening - meeting with local residents re our killer road - hope to get to choir practice too (only 3 weeks until our concert)

Friday
am campaigning for local elections target ward
lunchtime - chess club in local school .... (voluntary work - its good for their maths)
afternoon - go to my daughters school for poetry competition finals
evening - canvassing for local elections

Saturday
all day - canvassing for local elections in my own ward

Sunday
all day - returning to Birmingham where I stood in the last general election to catch up with views there and help canvas for local elections.

I enjoy canvassing - its is a time to really take stock and listen to what people are saying. I also believe it is important to go and help other councils / candidates as no single ward/district/borough/constituency is an island to themselves. To make changes, even on local issues, one often needs help and inspiration from other areas.

2 comments:

Ellee said...

I'm exhausted just reading about it. Now had you added your family commitments too, it would have been just too incredible to believe.

Have a good evening on Doughty Street, I will try and watch you.

Vicky Ford said...

Dear Ellee

Thank you for reminding me ... I would not be able to do all of this if I was still a banker - but it is all about giving something back. My day job is being a full time mum to 3 all at primary school and also managing one or two other things! There are quite a few school runs, ballet runs, football matches etc that will be happening in the middle of all this. I am very lucky to have an amazing team of friends and a wonderful husband who help out at busy times like this.