Sunday, 4 March 2007

The doctors rise up in protest

I am not a doctor but my parents were doctors, my sister is a doctor and my husband is a doctor. All my life I have been surrounded by doctors and medical professionals but I have never known them so angry to take to the streets in protest - until now.

On March 17th thousands of doctors say they are planning a protest march across London from the Royal College of Physicians near Regents Park to the Royal College of Surgeons in Lincolns Inn Fields.

In the last 10 years the government has restructured junior doctors hours so that they no longer need to work the solid 60 hour shifts I remember my contemporaries doing, doctors pay has been restructured so that are on the whole much better off and money has been poured into the NHS - why are they so angry?

Doctors are professionals and like most professionals they just want to get on with their jobs - all the doctors I know just want to do is make sick people better. Now many excellent "junior" doctors find they don't have a job at all - see here. That is why they are marching.

Other doctors across the country tell me of their frustrations due to restructurings and financial constraints.

Doctors are clever people. To get into most medical schools these days you need AAB minimum at A level. They are also numerate. Most have A grade at A level maths - but even to these mathematical elite financial accounting in the NHS is a mystery.

The system is too complicated, patient care is often manipulated to meet targets and the end result is that the sick suffer more. That is why doctors are angry.

2 comments:

Dr Michelle Tempest said...

Thanks again Vicky for blogging about this. Doctors are not just numbers and their important training can not be subjected to a lottery. I for one will be doing everything I can to support them. Thanks again for the post. Michelle

Ed Clarke said...

Keep up the coverage on this issue.

My friends in the NHS have serious doubts about its survival. When it costs the taxpayer £200,000 to train a doctor how dare the government send our doctors abroad?

Apparently a similar shake-down of consultants is on the way, with reduncancies mooted.