Tuesday, 12 December 2006

and again - drugs

News today is that Labour minister Richard Cabourn thinks sports people should not be banned for using "social" drugs including cocaine. Does he not realise that we live in a country where the words of a footballer’s wife are frequently listened to more than that of the prime minister? I have no problem with people who say their past should remain their past, but once in the media eye one becomes an ambassador. OK I'm not perfect (I have a few points on my driving licence) but I think that it is unacceptable to take illegal drugs. Sports stars are held in awe by so many children and young people. They are also often funded by the state. There should not be one rule for "stars" and another for the rest. Thank goodness most of our sports stars realise this too.

No comments: