Thursday, 23 November 2006

Together we can make Basildon and East Thurrock better

I stopped off at the station in Stanford Le Hope and was lucky to bump into Tony. Tony is in charge of cleaning on the C-2-C. He took me to see the graffiti on the railway bridge. All of this in only 2 weeks. Graffiti become a big problem in the past couple of years and obviously Tony has send cleaners to tidy it up. The season ticket is £1,888. It’s a lot of money – I want that money to go towards trains that run on time. It shouldn’t have to be spent on cleaning up graffiti. Anti social behaviour is a real problem and must be stopped.

I then popped down to Tilbury to have a walk along the river. This is historic England. Queen Elizabeth I stood on the docks at Tilbury and spoke to the English navy about to face the Armada. She said “I may have the body of a weak and feeble woman but I have the heart and stomach of a King and a King of England too!” We need leaders like that again.

Tens of thousands of new homes are planned all over the Thames Gateway. How are our schools, hospitals and roads to cope?

No comments: