Saturday, 25 November 2006

Changing Political Weather



Spent today with some friends delivering leaflets to invite people along to Thursdays meeting. Greeted very warmly everywhere, despite the showers. A beautiful rainbow over Corringham is perhaps an omen of changing political weather. So many people are saying to me "I don't know anyone who votes labour any more"

Issues raised today were crime, development, the hospitals and healthcare and education. We must give all children the access to first class schools - or who is going to be running British businesses in the future?

3 comments:

News is Good said...

"We must give all children the access to first class schools - or who is going to be running British businesses in the future?"

What about - 'who will be the nurses'? Or, 'who will be the politicians'? Or, 'who will be the teachers'?

I find it depressing that the most potent vocation you can imagine for children is business, especially when you yourself say that "I worked in banking for 14 years before deciding to keave [sic] the City... [this] is more important to me than sitting behind a desk in a bank!"

We must give our children the best education possible, otherwise, what would it be to be human?

Vicky Ford, South Basildon and East Thurrock said...

Thank you - the comment I make is a wide one. I happen to have had a "business" career in the narrow definition but my parents, my sister and my husband are all doctors. I want to make sure that there are enough doctors, nurses, teachers, midwifes in the future. They all have to have the best possible education in order to manage their professional "businesses". I believe in trusting professionals to get on with their jobs. You may have read comments from Bernard Ribeiro who is a surgeon at Basildon hospital and the President of Royal College of Surgeons. He has been warning the government that if they make the proposed changes to healthcare training budgets then we may not have enough healthcare professionals in the future. It is not only school level education that is critically important but further and continuing education too. Here is the link http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1885309,00.html#article_continue

Anonymous said...

where did you go exactly? I don't know anyone who received any such leaflet.